Digital Photography related tools and software
- Picture Information Extractor Although PIE is an unique picture browser and viewer with exquisite photo metadata (EXIF, IPTC and XMP) and file renaming features, I use it mostly to import and organize photos from camera and other sources into a date-based folder structure.
Information URL: http://www.picmeta.com/products/picture-information-extractor.htm
Download URL: http://www.picmeta.com/download.htm
License: Freeware (cannot edit EXIF/IPTC metadata with free version.)
- Camera Photo Reader is another simple program to copy photos from cameras or camera cards based on dates. The files are collected based on dates and then copied to folders with the form yyyy_mm_dd_subject under a base folder on your hard drive.
- Tools for managing metadata:
- DateTree: DateTree is an application for Mac OS X that will copy files into a set of folders named by date. Although the program was written with images in mind, it will handle any file. Selective copying is possible, and several date-based organizations are offered.
- Digital Image Mover - DIM handles the copying of images from your digital camera's memory card or from your cellphone to your computer.
OS: WIndows, Mac
- F-Spot - F-Spot is a full-featured personal photo management application for the GNOME desktop. F-Spot simplifies digital photography by providing intuitive tools to help you share, touch-up, find and organize your images.
- DigiKam -
Other software worth checking out